Band “assassins” game creates excitement in the halls

Ellie Plass, Style Editor

If you ever see a band student in the hallway covering their elbows, you know why.

The game is played either with stealth, or with terrifying force. It’s been known to tear apart friendships, to break trust. It’s a game that’s played to the figurative death.

The band’s game of Assassins. The rules are fairly simple, players are assigned a person and have to “kill” them by pinching their elbow. They can’t kill during classes, in the band room or bathroom, or when someone has an instrument in their hand. Once they kill someone, they kill who that person was supposed to kill, until it gets down to the final player.

This year one of the head’s of the band’s social committee, sophomore Hollyn Slykhuis, put together the master list.

“We did a combination of random pairs, and deliberate ones to keep the game interesting,” Slykhuis said. Both students and teachers play, and no handicaps are used. The only major change in the rules this year was making the Choir Room a safe zone, but once the logic was explained it was accepted by the band.

Despite the “brutal” nature of the game, the band grows closer because of it.

“I think it brings the band together even though you wouldn’t think so. It’s a special fun thing that we get to do as a group, and it helps you get to know people you wouldn’t have known before,” Slykhuis said. The band trades stories of legendary kills, some of which involve sneaking into houses late at night, and forms alliances against other players.

It’s not always fun and games, however. There have been complaints from teachers and principals about the disturbance it causes in the hallways. People can very easily get carried away, and forget that they are in a school setting. It’s an easy thing to mistake for a fight breaking out.

Regardless of it’s faults, it’s tradition. Everyone knows it’s that time of year when people start walking around the halls with their elbows covered, and whether you’re in band or not, it makes school a little more exciting for everyone.