Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

STEM holds third quarter steminar, career night

May 1, 2024

Spring play, directed by Gibson performs D.O.A

April 25, 2024

Chicago trip allowed students to explore

The view from the John Hancock building’s 94th floor.

The view from the John Hancock building's 94th floor.
This past weekend the Fine Arts’ Department traveled to Chicago. The group left on Wednesday night and drove through the night, arriving in Chicago in the morning, greeting a full day’s schedule. The first day, the group spent their time together and saw the sights as a department. The following two days offered a variety of activities where the participants were able to choose whether to attend one or another. The trip offered a tour of an art museum, a Second City Improv Workshop, a musical at the Cadillac Theatre, shopping on Michigan Avenue, listening to an orchestra, going to a Cubs’ game, a trip to an aquarium, a walk around Millenium Park, dinner at the Rainforest Cafe, a view from the John Hancock building’s 94th floor, touring the city by land and by water, and much more.

“My favorite part about Chicago was The Art Institute of Chicago, and the thing that surprised me the most was all of the art incorporated throughout the city,” senior Emma Peifer said.

“I really liked the architectural tour we took on the boat because the buildings are so much more unique than other big cities like New York. And I was surprised at how big the lake was, it doesn’t seem like a lake, it’s like an ocean,” senior Ben DiNapoli said.

“My favorite part of the trip would have to be the Cubs’ game. If we did the trip again, though, I would like to spend less time doing some things in order to have the leftover time to experience more,” freshman Mary-Hallet Culbreth said.

“I loved seeing Million Dollar Quartet because it was fun to listen to the music and watch the people act like the stars they were supposed to be. I really liked the piano guy playing Jerry Lee Lewis, and the way he performed. I loved jamming out to the music as well,” senior Sarah Rose said.

Million Dollar Quartet and Catch Me If You Can were the two musicals that the students had the opportunity to see. Million Dollar Quartet was the story of the one and only night that Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis all were together in a recording studio and made music together. Catch Me If You Can followed the true story of Frank Abagnale, Jr.’s forgery and eventual capture.

The group of students also got the chance to see a unique performing ensemble called the Blue Man Group that consisted of three men covered completely in blue bodysuits. The performance was unlike anything the students had seen before.

“[Blue Man Group] was funny, but different than what I thought it was going to be. I imagined a show with them just playing drums, but they added a lot of humorous elements to it,” Peifer said.
[nggallery id=151]

View Comments (2)