Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Inside the production of the Imprint

The staff of the Imprint stands for a group photo.

The Imprint literary magazine is quickly gaining recognition. Created four years ago by English teacher Tracy Barr, the magazine started off slow. Last year’s Imprint class was small, with only six students in charge of production. No real positions were established, responsibilities were just divided up in order to get the magazine out on time. It was full-year, giving the students time to learn the basics of the designing program InDesign and Photoshop.

A lot of things have changed about Imprint. The class has now joined together with Creative Writing, and the number of students has roughly tripled. Imprint also now has two semester classes instead of one full-year. First semester’s class focuses on gathering photographs, art, poetry and other literature for the magazine. The job of the second semester students is to compile all of the submissions together and find a way to make it all into a magazine.

“[Last semester] We came up with themes, competitions and prizes for them, and collected funds for the magazine,” senior Stephen Rich said.

First semester Creative Writing, taught by Verity Caron, had more of a focus on the Creative Writing aspect, teaching students about different writing genres and giving students information on furthering their writing careers. Jennifer Rose’s second semester class focused on the production of Imprint, weaving in creative writing assignments and lessons along the way.

Creative Writing is not for everyone. Students who have an interest in pursing writing as a future job will get the most out of the class.

“I recommend this class for people who really enjoy creating a magazine and writing.” sophomore David Love said. “If you’re into something like that, this class is for you.”

Students join Creative Writing for different reasons. Freshman Sheetal Kunver signed up simply because she enjoys writing, and wanted a creative outlet. However, Kunver has no interest in continuing the class next year. She has other aspirations.

“I like to write, but it’s not going to help me in any medical field.” Kunver said.

Junior Chris Pyle went into Creative Writing in hopes of learning more about writing in general.

“I really wanted to hone and display my writing skills,” Pyle said.  “And this class helped me do just that.”

The Imprint magazine was created to do exactly as Pyle described.

“The administration and the English department felt like the school needed a way to recognize the achievements of student writers, artists, and musicians,” Barr said.

The achievements students have made are displayed to other students in the school as well as other schools around the country.

“The magazine’s staff and contributors have won a variety of individual awards for poetry, artwork, photography, and design in the Virginia High School League competition,” Barr said.

So whether you are putting the magazine together or submitting a piece of work into Imprint, there is a sense of accomplishment in getting achievements out into the world.