Whiting balances sports, extracurriculars, classes to start year

Photo courtesy of Logaan Whiting

Junior Logaan Whiting smiles for a picture by Hoover Dam this summer.

Clare Kirwan, Head Editor-in-Chief

It’s often said that the junior year of high school is the hardest for students, balancing difficult classes, extracurriculars and your social life. This statement couldn’t be more on point for junior Logaan Whiting.

Whiting plays varsity volleyball, is part of the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program, is a member of the STEM Executive Board, WiSTEM and the Black Student Union (BSU). Though her most timely commitment is her role as the HOSA Chapter President.

“Our healthcare teacher had us put our names on a ballot and then we had to give a speech that everybody voted [on]. I found out like a week or so before [that I got the HOSA Chapter President position] I just had to not tell anybody [until the official announcement],” Whiting said.

HOSA works as an extracurricular, but during school, Whiting has no shortage of healthcare classes.

“I’m doing the [CNA program] that’s offered here [through Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community (VMRC]. At the end of the semester [after all the classes and clinicals], I’ll be able to take [the CNA certification] test. If I pass then I’m CNA certified and then I’ll start working,” Whiting said.

In her near future, Whiting wants to become a nurse anesthesiologist with hopes of making good money and less schooling.

“My [inspiration to go into healthcare comes from] my grandmother [who is] disabled and sick. I want to help people like her,” Whiting said. “[I also have two baby cousins], the oldest, he’s autistic and the youngest has muscular atrophy. That was also part of my want to be in healthcare just because babies that have muscular atrophy, they’re constantly in pain.”

Whiting gathers much of her inspiration from her family. After her parents filed for divorce, Whiting and her extended family became a tight knit unit.

“From the time my parents got divorced until now I’ve moved 16 times, but through all of it, it brought me and my mom closer. She’s my best friend,” Whiting said. “My family is really close. Some people outside of our family think that our family is weird because we’re so close. We do everything together, go everywhere together, we’re just always together.”

Whiting has no shortage of strong women as role models, which has led her to her role as a WiSTEM member and a representative of the STEM executive board. 

“My whole life I’ve been surrounded by women. My dad, my uncle, and my grandfather, those are the only male figures in my life. I’ve never felt like because I was a woman I couldn’t do something. [As I’ve gotten older,] I realized [there is a lack of women’s presence] within STEM,” Whiting said.

Whiting has not only observed disadvantages as a woman, but also as a person of color.

“It took me a really long time to even want to join BSU. I didn’t start going to meetings until probably February or March of last school year because I’m mixed. My mom is white, and my dad is black, but I’m very light skinned,” Whiting said. “It was a hard decision for me because pretty much my entire life people told me that I’m not black enough, or I’m not white enough. How do I be white enough? How do I be black enough? It was a really big struggle for me to figure out if I even belonged in BSU because I am white passing.”

The start of school can be a stressful time. Do not hesitate to check in on your friends, families, administrators, teachers and students.

To join these clubs contact:

Governor’s STEM Academy: Myron Blosser [email protected] 

Black Student Union: Cedrice Kenney [email protected]

WiSTEM: Megan Cullip [email protected] 

CNA Program: Tricia Cummings [email protected] 

HOSA: Jennifer Glazer [email protected]