Riverside defeats Harrisonburg at 5D regional tournament

Sophomore+designated+hitter+Miguel+Fajardo+bats+against+Spotswood+during+a+game+earlier+this+season.+

Nolan Henry

Sophomore designated hitter Miguel Fajardo bats against Spotswood during a game earlier this season.

Noel Cano Rocha, Staff Reporter

The varsity baseball team traveled to Riverside High School to take on the Rams for their first game of the 5D regional tournament. 

The game began with senior Dylan Burnette hitting a line drive to the pitcher. Junior Drew Bowman hits it to the first baseman for a quick out and senior Evan Bert had a good hit but straight at the third baseman. Bert started the top of the first pitching for the blue streaks.The rams were able to bring three runners home and take an early lead.

The top of the second started with senior Josh Engle hitting a deep fly ball but the rams made a good play to get the out. Next batter is senior James Vance. Vance hit it to the shortstop for the second out. Sophomore Eddy Perez was struck out with a seven pitch at bat. Riverside increased their lead to 5-0 with another two runs in the bottom of the second. 

In the top of the third, senior Glenn Vance hit a ball to the center fielder for the first out. Freshman Noel Cano Rocha hit a ball at the first baseman for the second out and Sophomore Sawyer Hook was also struck out. The Rams scored two runs in the inning. 

In the top of the fourth, Burnette led off with a line drive straight to the pitcher. Junior Drew Bowman bunts it to third base which is picked up by the to get the second out. Bert pops it up to the center fielder for the third  out. Head coach Kevin Tysinger made a pitcher change and put in Glenn Vance. Despite this, the Rams scored two runs in the inning to yet again increase their lead to 9-0. 

Now for the top of the fifth, Engle hit a ball straight to the pitcher. Now in to pitch is Burnette. Although Burnette threw well,  the Rams just needed one to win the game. The Rams were able to get two more runs to go up 9-0. 

In the  sixth inning, Glenn Vance was up to bat  and hit it straight to the first baseman. Cano Rocha hit it  to the second baseman for the second out. Coming in to hit for Hook is sophomore Miguel Fijardo. Fijardo hit it to the right fielder for the third out. In the bottom of the sixth, the Rams only need one run to invoke the slaughter rule and win the game. With bases loaded,  Harrisonburg has a pass ball, giving them the last run. Riverside won with a final score of 10-0 and ended the Streaks playoff route and season.