The pandemic drained students’ motivation

Senior Keenan Glago stresses over his workload from in-person classes.

Rachel Phengsitthy, Editor-in-Chief

From learning online to going back in-person, it has been a challenge. When we were virtual, it was easy for students to lose their focus. People easily turned off their cameras and went back to bed. With that being said, it was also easy for students to fall behind in their classes.

Adapting to virtual learning was already hard, but imagine how it felt when students were told that they were going back in-person. Some people were happy to be around others and some were not as excited. For me, I was excited to go back in-person but I didn’t realize the hardships that came with it. Waking up every morning to attend an in-person class, eating a normal diet and doing more work than what I was given online are the struggles I have faced. 

Along with being in-person, I believe we don’t have enough time to procrastinate. I’m a big procrastinator, but that only started because we were online. With being in-person, I feel the need to rush and complete all of my assignments just so I can get free time. During quarantine, students had more down time and extended due dates. It might just be my senior schedule causing me to feel like this, but I believe virtual classes gave students more flexibility.

Having to actually participate in classes now is expected. During virtual classes, teachers were just talking to themselves because most people had their cameras off and didn’t feel like talking. The participation level has increased due to in-person classes. 

When it comes to the workload, there has been an increase due to being in-person. Students are less motivated to complete assignments because they’re so used to a smaller workload. If virtual classes didn’t occur, I believe students wouldn’t be challenged when it comes to completing their academics.