Updates on 2021-2022 school year released

Oziel Valdez, Online Editor in Chief

May 20, 2021, Harrisonburg City Public Schools (HCPS) released an email to faculty, students and parents regarding the upcoming school year.

HCPS has been working closely with the Virginia Department of Health and other local health officials to determine the protocols for the upcoming school year. As of May 20, 2021, Harrisonburg High School will be open for in-person school days five days a week, with school days being seven hours for the 2021-2022 school year. This can be subject to change. Safety precautions regarding schooling next year still need to be finalized and will change depending on advice from the Virginia Department of Health.

While in-person school is an expectation for the upcoming school year, the option of virtual learning will still be offered to students. This can be for a family’s unique circumstance or any other situation. For students to learn remotely in the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, parents must contact their child’s school counselor or principal before the end of the year. These requests for the fall must be received before June 23.

This virtual learning format will be in partner with Virtual Virginia, a program that allows students to learn remotely. This program includes a wide variety of electives and classes, allowing for students who go a virtual route to meet their grade level requirements. These classes include a mixture of live instruction and independent work. Students who choose Virtual Virginia are still a part of their home school and can participate in their home school’s extracurricular activities. However, transportation will not be provided by these home schools for extracurricular activities. Click here for more information regarding Virtual Virginia.

There are certain things to be aware of regarding Virtual Virginia. These were items that HCPS would like parents and guardians to consider regarding Virtual Virginia:

• The school division will cover the cost of tuition for students learning remotely and we will provide all required materials including use of a Chromebook.

• Virtual Virginia does not offer Dual Language Spanish courses or the courses associated with Fine Arts Academy, STEM Explorations Academy or Governor’s STEM Academy. Students in these special programs who take part in remote learning may be able to rejoin the programs when they return in person if space permits, although this is not guaranteed.

• Virtual Virginia teachers are not Harrisonburg City teachers.

• Virtual Virginia may not be a fit for all students. In general, students should be able to read in English at or above grade level to be able to access their online materials. Students who need special education services beyond classroom accommodations should talk to their case manager about options for next year.

• Students who enroll in Virtual Virginia in the fall should plan to remain enrolled online for the entire school year.