SCA candidates announced with elections starting May 18

While the current school year starts to come to an end, the next one is already being prepared, one aspect of which is the Student Community Association (SCA) Executive Board. SCA is a group of students who handle multiple duties for Harrisonburg High School, which range from creating school events, promoting school spirit and recognizing and representing the HHS student body. The SCA Executive Board consists of five students, each with a specific role, and two representatives from each grade level. Students interested in these positions applied to the positions they were interested in, and from there, candidates were chosen.

Following are the positions, their descriptions and the students running for that position.

SCA President:

The SCA President is a rising senior who acts as the official representative of the student body. This student creates agendas for SCA meetings and presides over SCA meetings and all other meetings on behalf of the association. The President performs other duties, including meeting with administration, working with Red Sea leaders for Red Sea events and any other duties delegated by SCA.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

SCA Red Sea Leader: 

The SCA Red Sea Leader is an upperclassman who assumes the duties and responsibilities of the President in their absence. They preside alongside the President, working with them and being their second-in-command. The SCA Red Sea Leader also learns and teaches Red Sea chants to peers, plans for Red Sea support at HHS events, works with the Athletic Director about events and organizes pep rallies. These duties are included alongside anything else that arises throughout the school year.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

SCA Secretary:

The SCA Secretary is a student from any grade level that handles the office work of the organization. They notify members of upcoming meetings, agendas, event committees and appointments. The SCA Secretary keeps an accurate record of all the proceedings of the SCA in an organized SCA Google Drive. They also handle all official correspondence of SCA, which includes, but is not limited to, conferring with administration through bi-weekly emails, keeping members informed by forwarding and “CC’ing” emails and updating the student body through emails.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

SCA Accountant:

The SCA Accountant is a student from any grade level that helps the advisor with monetary matters. They also help communicate funds as needed with advisors and other appropriate administration. The SCA Accountant helps develop and organize lists of items needed for events. They also create and manage Google Forms for poll and statistical analysis.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

SCA Social Media Manager:

The SCA Social Media Manager is a student from any grade level that is well-versed and comfortable with social media. Their duties include promoting SCA activities and events through social media and running the SCA Instagram Account (@hhs_sca). They are also responsible for communicating with Newsstreak and Broadcasting to promote SCA events and news. In addition to that, they also collect photos and videos from SCA events and create a display case with SCA materials.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

Class Representatives:

The next roles are for each grade level’s representatives. There are two representatives per grade level who are elected. Every grade level representative follows the same basic duties, with each having their own slight additions. Each class representative has to represent their respective class , in addition to maintaining a social media account for that class. They organize specific events for their class. Class representatives work closely with SCA by attending bi-weekly meetings with them. Class representatives are required to attend and represent at least two different Red Sea events in a school year. They assist both SCA and their own class sponsor with any help they need.

Senior Representatives:

Senior representatives report to Mr. Livick and Ms. Sweetman. According to the SCA handbook, their mission is to “assist peers with participation in HHS activities and planning upperclassmen events.” Events they need to plan include: signing day, decision day, senior class meeting, cap and gown pickup, graduation, senior trip and more.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

Junior Representatives:

Junior representatives report to Ms. Gingras and Ms. Fisher. According to the SCA handbook, their mission is to “assist peers with participation in HHS activities and planning upperclassmen events.” The junior class representatives are required to organize events. One example of this is to coordinate a Prom committee and oversee Prom and After-Prom duties.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

Sophomore Representatives:

Sophomore representatives report to Mrs. Roach-Wescott. According to the SCA handbook, their mission is to “assist peers with becoming involved in HHS activities and developing school spirit.” The sophomore class representatives inform peers of HHS clubs and activities. They also encourage involvement in HHS related events.

The following candidates are:

Photo posted with permission from SCA.

Freshmen Representatives:

Freshmen representatives report to Mr. Summers. According to the SCA handbook, their mission is to “assist peers with learning about HHS and preparing rising ninth graders for high school.” The freshmen class representatives help organize freshmen events while also assisting with freshmen orientation and eighth grade tours.

Candidates for this position are not chosen until the beginning of the respective year.