HOSA wins multiple recognitions at VA State Leadership Conference

Oziel Valdez, Online Editor in Chief

This past weekend, eight HOSA members competed in the Virginia HOSA State Leadership Conference (SLC). The eight members competed under the guidance of HHS HOSA Coordinator, Jennifer Glazer. The competition was held virtually with different accommodations and guidelines for each specific event. Not only did the members compete, but they also attended virtual sessions to better their knowledge on HOSA and the work other students are doing around the state. In addition to competing, several members ran for state offices. The eight HOSA members who competed were:

Senior Chloe Nichols, who currently acts as the Chapter President.

Senior Alyssa Sutton, who currently acts as the Chapter Vice President.

Junior Julienne Butler, who currently acts as the Chapter Reporter

Senior Helen Rivera Rivas, who currently acts as the Chapter Secretary

Junior Marelyn Rivera Rivas, who currently acts as the Chapter Historian.

Senior Makayla Runion, who currently act as the State Secretary/Reporter.

Senior Leslie Mondragon, who currently acts as the State Region 5 Vice President.

Junior Maya Waid, who currently acts as a member of the HOSA Chapter.

Several of the eight members received recognitions and awards for their work in the competition. Those awards and recognitions go as follow:

Waid was elected as the 2021-2022 VA HOSA State President. In addition to this, Waid placed 2nd in the Prepared Speaking event. This qualifies her to compete in the International Leadership Conference (ILC).

Butler was elected as the 2021-2022 VA HOSA Region 5 Vice President. In addition to this, Butler placed 3rd in the Human Growth & Development event. This qualifies her to compete in the ILC. 

Nichols placed 5th in Extemporaneous Writing. Nichols is the first chapter member to ever place in the top five two years in a row. Nichols did this in two different events. 

Sutton and Runion placed in the top ten in the Health Career Display event. Their focus was on the career of Neonatal Surgery.

The ILC is currently going to be be held in June virtually.