News released regarding ROCO and MTC graduations

Graduations have been modified to fit CDC guidelines and Massanutten Technical Center (MTC) and Rockingham County Schools are not a stranger to this. In a recently sent email, the changes regarding these graduation were released. The announcement regarding the new graduation has been released in a video. These changes have created the traditional graduation into a drive-in graduation. These drive-in graduations will be held at the Rockingham County Fair Grounds. 

Students will enter the fair grounds with their families in the car. Each student is only allowed to bring a maximum three cars containing their families due to the limited parking space. At the fair grounds, there will be set up a stage and a video board. The fairgrounds will be split into two sections; one for the cars that contain the senior and the other section contains guests. The stage will have a sound system and the audio will be streamed over FM radio so cars can tune in. A small group of individuals will speak at the ceremony and initiate the graduation portion. Small groups of seniors will be asked to leave their cars and wait until their name is called, in which they will walk the stage and accept their diploma. They will then exit the stage and get their photograph taken. These photographs will be given to families free of charge. After getting their photo taken, students will return to their cars until the end of the ceremony. Then, cars will be directed out of the fairgrounds. No one is allowed to leave their cars when the ceremony is over. Different school ceremonies will be held at different times and dates.

Those dates and times are as follow:

Friday, June 5 at 2 p.m. – Massanutten Technical Center

Friday, June 5 at 6 p.m. – Spotswood High School

Saturday, June 6 at 10 a.m. – Turner Ashby High School

Saturday, June 6 at 2 p.m. – Broadway High School

Saturday, June 6 at 6 p.m. – East Rockingham High School

“It is our intention to provide a meaningful and memorable graduation experience for our seniors while maintaining social distancing and respecting all safety guidelines.  We hope this event will allow seniors to be ‘together’ to celebrate the conclusion of their high school experience. Please be on the lookout for additional information from the school principal about specific details regarding the graduation event,” wrote Rockingham County Public Schools superintendent Oskar Sheikl in an email.