Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Governor STEM Academy hosts biannual career fair
JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

JV softball vs. East Rock 4/19/24

May 2, 2024

STEM holds third quarter steminar, career night

May 1, 2024

Spring play, directed by Gibson performs D.O.A

April 25, 2024

Art students participate in pottery workshop

Art students learned to make traditional Japanese pottery in workshop.

On Wednesday, March 24th, 28 art students took advantage of the Raku Pottery workshop that took place due to a grant given to the art department. Lynn Hilton Conyers, a ceramist and retired art teacher, led to workshop which taught students how to make the traditional Japanese pottery.

Students created items such as bowls and small animals out of a special Raku clay which was then fired in the kiln. They then glazed their creations, which is similar to painting the clay with a thin layer of glass, with special lead-based glazes. Instead of firing the clay in the kiln a second time, students took the clay to the courtyard where it was fired in a special propane kiln. When the clay had reached a temperature between 1800 and 2000 degrees, tongs were used to transport the items from the kiln to metal trash cans filled with straw. Once the item was placed in the trash can, newspaper shreds and more straw were immediately thrown on top to add to the flames and the lid was placed on top. Sophomore Sarina Hartman was a bit nervous about the process.

“I was afraid that something else would catch on fire that was not supposed to,” Hartman said.

When the clay was ready to be removed from the trash cans, students had to be careful because a large amount of smoke was released with removal of the trash can lids. Goggles and gloves were worn for protection.

“The first time we took the lid off, I didn’t wear goggles,” Hartman said. “It stung my eyes.”

Once out of the trash cans the clay pieces were sprayed with water from a hose to cool them and to wash off the ash from burning.

“It was most exciting when we rinsed [the clay] off and we saw what it actually looked like,” Hartman said.

The pieces came out in many different colors, depending on which glaze students had used on their pieces.

Art teacher Jauan Brooks was very pleased with the workshop.

“The excitement that [the students] expressed made us feel like it was worthwhile,” Brooks said. “The students were really happy about the outcome of their pieces.”

Brooks was also happy that students were able to see the entire process take place.

“Usually they just make the pottery and it disappears for a while into the kiln room and comes back done,” Brooks said. “This time they were able to actually see the process.”

By: Meagan Kelley