Baseball captains remain confident in team after losing seniors

Senior+Tristan+Fink+swings+at+a+ball+during+Harrisonburgs+game+against+Spotswood+High+School+in+the+2019+season.+The+streaks+went+on+to+win+the+game+7-4.+

Noah Siderhurst

Senior Tristan Fink swings at a ball during Harrisonburg’s game against Spotswood High School in the 2019 season. The streaks went on to win the game 7-4.

Despite losing seven seniors from the baseball team last year, senior Tristan Fink feels better about this season. Last year’s varsity squad was young compared to other district teams with four freshmen and two sophomores started who played an influential role on the team. 

“Last year we had a lot of freshmen and this year they’re going to be more experienced, so we should have a better season than we did last year,” Fink said. 

Senior Diego Gallegos thinks that where the team has been practicing so far will have an impact. 

“We’ve been outside more than last year, so I think we are going to be more prepared for games this season,” Gallegos said. 

Two seniors that graduated left a hole in the pitching rotation, but Fink is confident the team has what it takes to replace them. Sophomore Evan Bert, junior Aidan Perkins and senior Diego Gallegos all had experience on the mound last year.

“We have people that can take [the] spots [of the seniors that graduated]. We should be fine without them. Some were a big help, but we’re going to be alright,” Fink said.

Gallegos also believes the team will be able to rebound because of the lack of seniors that left. 

“I think we’re going to have a better team this year because we only lost two seniors,” Gallegos said. 

As one of the team captains, Fink is focused on one goal only: to win. He doesn’t consider himself above anybody. 

“Nothing changes [being a captain]. We all have the same goal and it’s to win games,” Fink said.

As a senior, Gallegos wants to be a role model for the younger players on the team. 

“I will try to do my best and do the things that I have to do to show [the younger people on the team] how to be their best,” Gallegos said.

Personally, Fink has some skills he can improve on coming off a year where he didn’t think he performed to his full potential. 

“[My goal is] to have a better season than I did last year. Hitting better and getting less errors in the field,” Fink said. 

Gallegos also wants to improve on hitting. After playing just a few games last season because he was new, Gallegos is also hoping to change that. 

“I will try to [have a batting average of] .500. I want this season to be my best one and I want to start every game,” Gallegos said.

Gallegos was new to the United States last year and relied on senior Jose Rocha to help him with English. This year, he gets to carry on the torch. Junior Frank Nunez emigrated from the Dominican Republic this past year and also doesn’t know much English.

“I think [a new player we should watch out for] is Frank. He’s new here and I think he can help us. It’s also good for me because I can get to know him and share our nationalities and that will bring us together,” Gallegos said.