Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Volunteer hours add up

This year, DECA and Interact clubs have been tutoring fourth grade students at Spotswood Elementary School on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Teacher Mallory Cromer took on the task of tutoring the kids as a part time job and when it became too stressful to do on her own, she started taking students from the two clubs to help her.

“We tutor the students in reading, math, helping them with their homework, completing worksheets that the teacher left and other things,” Cromer said. “It varies from week to week depending on what they are learning at the time.” Students and Cromer tutor the same ten kids every week. The more high school students that come, the more one on one time they can offer to the elementary students. Transport to and from Spotswood Elementary is provided. Sophomore Taylor McDonnell has attended four tutoring sessions and has enjoyed it so far.

“I enjoy helping the little kids achieve their goals,” McDonnell said. She helps them practice reading and math problems.  Since the tutoring started in early November, Cromer has begun to see some improvement.

“I think they have improved in math,” Cromer said. “I can see that they have improved with their flashcards and worksheets.”

Like most children, it can be hard to keep them on task.

“We try to read books like the Magic Tree House series with me reading one page and the kids reading the next, but they are easily distracted and more interested in talking to their friends,” McDonnell said. The kids that are picked for the program usually have a slight learning disability, but rather than seeing the extra tutoring as punishment, they see it as a reward.

“The kids think that it’s a privilege to stay after school and work with the students form the high school.” Cromer said. Like teaching at the high school, Cromer enjoys being around the kids at the elementary school and seeing how they have improved.

“I really enjoy helping out the kids and developing relationships with them,” Cromer said.