Yates, Nichols capture memories beyond pictures through vlogging

Nyah Phengsitthy

Sophomores Dorothy Yates and Chloe Nichols share much of their life through video on their YouTube channel.

It was at the beginning of gymnastics season when sophomores Dorothy Yates and Chloe Nichols decided they wanted to share the craziest moments of their lives with the world.

Aiming for more than just a still image, Yates and Nichols created a Youtube account known as “Dorothy and Chloe” that allows them to share their memories and everyday lives through videos. The two created a vlog channel with the hopes of having a chance to one day look back and reflect on the videos they created.

“It’s fun and dumb at the same time. It’s cool to vlog, but it’s kind of weird just doing it out in the open. It’s fun how you can just go back into the video and see how you really acted [back then], and then you can edit [the video] the way you want,” Yates said.

We’re dumb. We’re stupid, and we’re entertaining.

— Dorothy Yates

Yates and Nichols became close friends when they had multiple classes together back in middle school. They continued their friendship in high school on the sidelines of the football field as cheerleaders. Competing in gymnastics together also contributed to making their bond stronger. The two best friends aim to hang out with each other at least once a week, where they usually create most of their vlogs. From hangout to hangout, Yates and Nichols always find a way to have fun and make the vlogs interesting.

“We got snowed in at our house once together, and we didn’t do anything big, but we made our own fun while we were stuck inside,” Nichols said.

Though they try to record as much as they can, Yates and Nichols balance out their vlogging times with school and other outside schedules. The channel currently has 27 subscribers and four videos, with more to come. With each video they produce, Nichols considers the product of what they create to be a long-lasting memory.

“I like vlogging because I like to capture my memories because you don’t always remember each specific thing about a memory, and vlogging captures that,” Nichols said. “You can always look back at that and laugh [and] cry at it, and it’s really cool.”

From watching movies and touring college campuses, to drinking hot chocolate with multiple layers of whip cream, Yates and Nichols consider each of their vlogs to define their lives that they choose to share with the world.

“We’re dumb,” Yates said. “We’re stupid, and we’re entertaining.”