Spanish Club celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with ELT movie showing

Genevieve Kennedy

Senior Alex Rodriguez collects ELT passes at the Spanish Club’s showing of “Mi Mundial.”

Our school has students from all different walks of life, ethnicities and religions.  In response, to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, the Spanish Club plays a Spanish film as an ELT choice event each year. The movie for this year was ‘Mi Mundial’, and Oct. 16 was the final showing.

Senior Alex Rodriguez is a member of the Spanish club and helped with the showing and handling of entry passes for the movie.

“I enjoy [the movies] because the people who are coming might come in with something on their mind, and they come to have fun,” said Rodriguez. “Everybody enjoys it because everybody likes to take time and see something [that shows] other people’s lives.”  

On the last day, approximately 150 students came to the ELT viewing. All of them were admitted for free, thanks to teacher Philip Yutzy and the Spanish Club’s connection with the Latino Film Festival.

“We started working with them so that we could bring the movie here because it was impossible to take all of our students to the theater,” said Yutzy.

This is the fourth time that the Spanish Club has partnered with the Latino Film Festival to bring the movies to our student body.