Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

Help Wanted: Fresh on the high school band scene

Help Wanted’s guitarists rock out during a gig at Adona Music on New Year’s Eve. Photo by Cela Ehrenpreis.

Help Wanted's guitarists rock out during a gig at Adona Music on New Year's Eve. Photo by Cela Ehrenpreis.

Once a week a group of freshman boys stroll into the home of Jack Adameck to have their band practice. A drum set and a practice area are waiting for them. This group of four guys make up the band called Help Wanted. They perform at the Adona music store downtown for events like New Years Eve and the fourth of July, usually playing around 10 songs for a crowd large enough to fill the store.

“It is exciting to be on stage playing your favorite songs, feeding off the adrenaline of the cheering people, freshman Jack Adameck said. “My favorite song to play Ohio by CSNY.”

At the end of their last performance, Adameck’s drumsticks were splintered at the tips from hitting the drums too hard. Other band members include freshman Abe Nouri who sings lead vocals and plays guitar as well as trombone. He started to get interested in forming a band while taking trombone lessons at Adnoa from the owner, and with the help of Adameck’s father they got their first couple of gigs at teen band nights.

Garrett Thompson plays the band’s keyboard as well as singing back up vocals.

“I have been playing piano for half a year, and sometimes it is stressful but performing, my favorite part, makes up for it. I feel the electricity when I am onstage,” Thompson said. The band will will take a break for a couple of months while Nouri travels to China for the second semester.

“I will still be playing overseas, I’m going to buy a guitar over there and keep practicing,” Nouri said.

Freshman Larkin O’Hara has attended 3 of the Help Wanted shows.

“They seemed really good, even though they are young. Every time I came to the show they played a variety of songs. My favorite was probably Signed Sealed Delivered, by Stevie Wonder, their voices really fit that style. It is really excellent that young musicians have a place to play their music in the community,” O’Hara said.

[nggallery id=48]