Homecoming theme helps with hurricane relief

David Beck

Students had the opportunity to dress in any attire at this year’s homecoming dance.

The theme for this year’s homecoming dance had a twist to it when members of SCA based it off of disastrous natural events that have been happening in some parts of the United States. Being in the midst of hurricane season, many places have been hit, causing communities to be without electricity, food, water, etc. To recognize and show sympathy for the natural disasters, the theme for this year’s dance is “Come as you Are.” The idea started out with students being able to come in anything they want, whereas previous years the usual homecoming look was a dress or nice suit and tie. Along with other members of the SCA, senior SCA president Sam Healy made this year’s simple theme official.

“There was a lot of different themes we could have done, but I wanted everyone to be involved and everybody to have an opportunity to come to homecoming and nobody feel excluded. Sometimes when girls feel like they need to wear a dress or guys have to dress up, they feel like they’re not apart, so everybody can be a part of this theme,“ Healy said.

All proceeds and every ticket purchase will go straight to hurricane relief. Junior vice president Nina Andrews was part of putting the annual event together and decorated for this year’s dance.

“Kibler [SCA advisor] felt that it was time to give back to everything in the world, so I think that was the main the reason for why we wanted to help,” Andrews said.

Along with “coming as you are” the theme is another way to save money in general for students. This year, tickets for the dance were ten dollars whereas previous year tickets ran for fifteen dollars. While price for tickets decreased this year, the number of students attending homecoming increased. In previous years, the student count for the dance was around 300 whereas this year’s attendance ran over 500 students.