Varsity baseball falls to Amherst in extra-inning battle

Junior Cade Templeton smacks a base hit in the fifth inning.

Owen Stewart, Sports Editor

The Harrisonburg varsity baseball team fell to Amherst High School 14-10 in an extra inning, Conference 21 battle on Saturday, March 26. Amherst got off to a fast start, scoring one run in the first, two in the second and two in the third to jump out to an early 5-0 lead. However, Harrisonburg got right back in the game, as a two run single by junior Chandler Hill started a four run fourth inning, bringing the Streaks within one. Streaks starting pitcher Kajuan Madden was replaced by Matt Meiser with one out in the fifth, and Amherst grabbed three more runs in the fifth inning, only to have Harrisonburg tie the game in the bottom half. The fifth inning scoring came on an error that scored two runs, an infield single by Christian Whitelow, and a fielder’s choice by Tyler Kump. The game stayed 8-8 into the final regulation inning, the seventh, when Amherst put two runs on the board off of newly entered pitcher Cade Templeton. As they had all game, Harrisonburg bounced back quickly, as a two run dinger from Malachi Simmons tied the game at 10 in the bottom half. In the eighth, Amherst threatened again, but catcher Chase Berkshire was able to throw two runners out to end a scoreless inning. The ninth inning was scoreless, but Amherst broke through in the tenth, scoring four runs off of freshman Jose Rocha, the Streaks sixth pitcher of the day. With the loss, Harrisonburg falls to 1-3, and their next game is a district matchup on Tuesday, at Turner Ashby.