Varsity boys tennis comes away with win despite playing one seed up

Theodore Yoder, Staff Reporter

The varsity boys tennis team was able to come away with the victory Thursday, March 24, evening against the Colonels of James Wood High School. Due to the absence of their second seed, every athlete on the team was required to play up one seed to fill in for the absence. Freshman Tobias Yoder was placed at the fifth seed for the first time this season and was able to beat his opponent 10-7.

“It was exciting to get my first win. At first I was getting behind and I noticed his backhand was a weakness. I tried to hit it to his backhand and I made fewer unforced errors than he did winning me the match,” Yoder said.

With the first serve at 4:30 p.m. the Steaks were able to win five out of the six singles securing the win for Harrisonburg. At the first seed, junior Jason Muan was just able to secure his singles match winning 11-9. Along with Muan, freshman Sam Heie was able to win his singles game finalizing the match. With the match already decided, unseeded players were able to play doubles. Junior Alex Osinkosky played with freshman Weston Hatfield at the third seed doubles.

“It was great to see Hatfield and Osinkosky step up and play number three doubles and even though they lost they played hard and well,” Yoder said.

Osinkosky and Hatfield went on to lose 3-10. The overall score of the match was 5-4 in favor of the Streaks. The next match scheduled is against the Indians of Fort Defiance on the 5th of April.