PSAT canceled, wrong test issued

Students+wait+outside+the+the+auditorium+to+take+the+test.+The+test+was+soon+canceled+due+to+a+mistake.+

Sarah Earle

Students wait outside the the auditorium to take the test. The test was soon canceled due to a mistake.

Sarah Earle, Editor-in-Chief

On Oct. 14, sophomores and juniors were given the opportunity to take a PSAT test, a practice SAT. Students were split up alphabetically in locations around the school, including the auditorium and computer labs. The test was scheduled to begin at 7:45-1:30 p.m. but the wrong test was given to the school, so they were not able to complete it. A date for students to take the correct PSAT test hasn’t been announced yet. Many sophomores took the test to prepare for the SAT test and get a good feel for it.

“I’m kinda nervous [about taking the test] because I’ve never done it before,” sophomore Guillermo Torres said. “I’m also looking forward to it because I don’t know what to expect on the SAT.” The test is designed to give students a preview of the actual test.

“I guess I’m nervous, but I don’t really care that much because it’s not graded,” sophomore Faith Eberly said. “I don’t know what to expect because I haven’t taken a test like this before.” The most stressful thing about the PSAT for Eberly was the time limit for each subject.

“I’m most nervous about the reading part because I think I’m not going to have enough time to finish it,” Eberly said.

Students had a strategical sense of what they were trying to get out of taking the PSAT.

“They gave us a book and it had practice problems in it, but I didn’t really do any so I could get a baseline score,” sophomore Gabby Delbiondo said. “I intentionally didn’t study just to figure out where I would be.”

Other students prepared for the PSAT test so they could get a feel for what was ahead of them.

“They gave me a PSAT Booklet, so I read over it and did practice questions, so I’ll know what type of questions on the test I’ll have,” Torres said.

Subjects included in the PSAT are English, History, Science and Math. The English section of the PSAT Test had a time limit of an hour. Students only had the chance to complete the English portion of the test. They had to stop since the wrong PSAT test was given.

“I was upset, is the right way to put it, because it took forever to fill in the bubbles,” sophomore Alina Dovganetsky said. At about 10:00 a.m., students had completed Section One in the auditorium and found out that they had the incorrect test.

“I was in the auditorium, so they stopped us after our 60 minutes was up, but in the other classrooms, where all the other people were taking the test, they stopped them after 45 minutes, as soon as they found out,” sophomore Gabby Delbiondo said. “I was kind of happy because the test was kind of hard, but I was also frustrated because I was supposed to be taking another test in Biology at the time, so I had to take it during ELT.”

Even though the students didn’t exactly take much of the test, some don’t regret signing up to take it.

“I decided to take it to make sure that I know the general information that might be on the SAT, so when I go into the SAT I won’t be blind towards the questions,” junior Ali Al-Shebani said. “I’ll know the basis of the questions that I should learn. The ones that I mess up on I will be able to gather information upon and the ones I got right, I don’t need to worry about.” Many of the sophomores that took this test said that they would recommend freshmen to take the PSAT.

“When you’re a junior is when you should take the real SAT, so when you’re a sophomore you should really be focusing on that and be practicing for the real test. The real test helps you get into college,” Delbiondo said.

Administrators anticipate a replacement date will be set by the end of the nine weeks.