Babcock returns to alma mater for graduation speech

Evan Dotas, Feature Editor

As the year winds down, HHS seniors count the days until their graduation, where they will take to the stage and move on to bigger and better things. Each year, one of the most notable events at the ceremony is the keynote speaker. This year will feature Whit Babcock.

Babcock graduated from HHS in 1988, which led him to JMU and later to West Virginia University. Since then, he has had dramatic success in college athletics, serving as the assistant athletic director at Auburn University and the athletic director at Auburn University, West Virginia, the University of Cincinnati, and now, Virginia Tech.

Guidance counselor Tim Meyers remembers teaching and coaching Babcock when he studied here.

“He had me for government. Not a stellar student, but a good student athlete that did the right things,” Meyers said. Ever since he saw Babcock graduate, Meyers has continually been impressed, most notably with Babcock’s lack of hubris.

“He’s been a champion of keeping a good perspective on big time athletics geared with academics. He is well aware, and I think a champion throughout the nation, of those kind of issues, and trying not to let big business […] take over the minds of our sports and what our colleges are really meant for,” Meyers said. “He told me once ‘what I make, to me, is a bit embarrassing, but it’s what the market commands and what football coaches and division-one sports programs are making.’ Not that he wants to tear it down, but we have to get it to the point, it may be getting out of hand.”

Given Babcock’s sense of maturity, Meyers was happy to let him speak at graduation.

“It was an opportunity that I saw to get somebody that was from this area, from this school, and he’d just gotten the job [at Virginia Tech] and he was a willing participant to do it,” Meyers said. This excitement was fully mutual.

“Coach Meyers and I ran into each other at an event in Harrisonburg last year and he asked me to do it.  I was honored to be asked.  I am excited about it. I graduated in a class of 168 in 1988 on my 18th birthday,” Babcock said. Babcock is excited to come back and talk to his alma mater that served him so well.

“I have very fond memories of my time there and I still keep in close contact with 5-6 of my friends from my class. […] The life skills and relationship skills I learned during those years have served me well over time.  I am a proud, former Blue Streak,” Babcock said.

The graduation ceremony will be held at the JMU convocation center on Saturday, June 6th.