Q/A: The Waltons on love and marriage, Bradley Walton

Marley Adamek, Staff Reporter

Mr. Bradley Walton:

Q: How old were you two when you met each other?

A: I was 18 years old, five days shy of turning 19–I did not tell her parents that I was five days shy of turning 19.

Q: Do you remember what was going through your head the first time you saw her?

A: The first time that I looked at her, she was bending over painting a sign at the place that I worked. She got up and walked past me; I thought that she was one of my co-workers’ girlfriends, which later turned out not to be the case. My initial thought when I saw her was ‘Boy she’s pretty, too bad she’s taken.’

Q: When did you decide you were going to marry her?

A: The day I met her.

Q: What were you thinking about when she was walking down the aisle?

A: I don’t remember exactly what I was thinking, but I was sufficiently distracted that when she got to the front of the church, and I was supposed to step forward, I forgot to step forward.

Q: At what age did you get married?

A: I was a week shy of turning 24. She would have been 21. So, yeah, 23 and 21.

Q: What is your favorite trip you’ve taken together?

A: Not really sure about that, our honeymoon to Hawaii was interesting. We went to Europe one summer, that was an adventure. We went to Comic Con in San Diego once. Basically every year, we do a fall weekend trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina, and I probably enjoy that about as much as anything

Q: What was it like when she was gone for two weeks?

A: I lost weight because I had perpetual butterflies in my stomach and I was not eating as much. I’m sure she probably told you she took one of her friends with her on the trip. And she drove ‘said friend’ slightly nuts talking about me the whole time that they were gone. I was telling my friends that I had met the girl I was going to marry. She got back and called me, and her first question was ‘Do you remember me?’

Q: What is it like working in the same building?

A: It’s nice. If I need to talk to her about something or get a quick Ms. Walton-fix, I just have to run upstairs and hope that she’s at a point where it’s not horribly detrimental for me to interrupt her class. We don’t get sick of each other, so it’s nice.

Q: How does working together affect your relationship?

A: I guess it’s nice that we work in the same place from the standpoint of we can talk about things that happen at work pretty freely since we have the same employer. It’s not like we’re violating any sort of trust by talking about specific students with people who are not associated with the school system, because we both work at the same place. We can discuss things that happen at work and we understand exactly what the other is talking about. So that’s nice, I would say that that’s probably a plus that we can share that with each other.

Read Mrs. Walton’s answers here.