Osinkosky participates in Wreaths Across America

Junior Nick Deutsch laying wreaths on graves.

Alex Osinkosky, Staff Reporter

December 13, 2014 marks the Arlington National Cemetery’s 150th anniversary. For 23 years, thousands of people have come to the cemetery early in the morning on the second Saturday of December to lay wreaths on the graves of loved ones, friends, and the families of the fallen. This year, everyone who participated helped reach the goal of laying a wreath on every single one of the 230,000 headstones. A grand total of almost 50,000 people worked to achieve this goal.

A local scout troop has gone to participate for five years. Troop 40 consisted of boys from TAHS, HHS, SHS, EMHS, THMS, and other local middle schools. Nick Deutsch, a junior at HHS and Austin Cline, a sophomore at TAHS went on the trip. They were happy to honor the veterans that had served and their loved ones. Mr. David Dee, a member of the army, is also from Troop 40 and had a great experience as well.

Laying the wreaths each year is a moving experience for many, including Nick Deutsch.

“I have a lot of patriotism for my country, I feel a large amount of pride and find it very heartwarming to help lay down these wreaths,” said Deutch.

Nick has participated in this event for the past 2 years and plans to continue helping out veterans that have served and their families.

Cline has been attending this trip for four years and is also from Troop 40. His favorite parts of laying wreaths are;

“Honoring and showing respect to the individuals that have paid the ultimate price for us,” said Cline.

He also plans to attend next year because it is an easy way to give back, and like Deutsch, Cline felt it heartwarming.

This is David Dee’s first time going on this trip, however he did place US flags at Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery on Memorial Day 2010.

“Both events were well attended and it was a meaningful experience conducting beautification of the cemetery,” said Dee.

Dee and his family recently moved here from Texas and he and his son, Gavin, have immediately begun to participate in a range of activities, including this Wreath Laying Ceremony.

“For both events I enjoyed seeing everyone come out early, and pitch in to help attend the event. Community participation to assist is what makes these events a true experience in selfless service. I also enjoyed the changing of the Guard; the precision and dedication to which they conduct the ceremony is always a good event,” said Dee.

He says that he also plans to attend next year’s ceremony, and is proud to lay wreaths for all of the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

“As we move into the holiday season it is good to remember those who sacrificed to provide us the freedoms we enjoy on a daily basis. The freedom from tyranny, injustice and oppression. We enjoy these rights because they have been guaranteed by the US Constitution which has been defended by the Military,” said Dee.

He believes this would be something people should do from our school because it provides good community service hours and is a great way to give back to the community.