Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...

One Act play auditions beginning

A sign assigning students roles during One Act auditions. Photo by Anastasiya Kalyuk.

One Act is right around the corner. Some students are anticipating the moment auditions are held. Several are returning from previous experience, and others have mustered up the courage to try it out for the first time. Auditions consist of memorizing a monologue and doing some improvisation.

“I did it last year, it’s a butt load of fun. The people you meet are awesome. You basically just come, recite your monologue, do some improv, (he might make you read the script) fill papers out and wait,” returning One Act participant sophomore Samantha Heitsch said.

Students that have a passion for acting have put One Act on their list on things to try because it tests your abilities and strengths as an actor/actress.

“It was fun last year,” sophomore Paul Hairston said. “Acting is my favorite hobby. Actually, VTA was the most fun I had all year.”

“I did One Act last year and it’s a lot of fun. It wasn’t stressful auditioning. You just have to go at it and have fun. Mr. Shwartz knows that he’s doing,” sophomore Kaelyn Warne, also a returning actress, said.

Freshman, especially those who were involved with theater in middle school, are looking forward to continuing their love of performing on stage.

“I was in plays at the middle school. They were a lot of fun so I wanted to continue it,” freshman Deborah Halpbern said.

Freshman Aubtin Huidari, who was the lead in a middle school play, looks forward to auditions: “acting, and the theater in general is awesome!” It’ll be his first time competing.

“I’m trying out because I love acting. And I want more stage. Stage, stage, stage. I really want the experience,” sophomore Gracie Burzumato said.

It is also her first time doing something like One Act.

Stanley Swartz, drama teacher and One Act director, has not picked out the play the students will be performing for One Act.

“I don’t have a play picked out yet because it all depends on the talent and abilities of the kids trying out,” Swartz said.

He has the choices down to five. He can not pick one until after auditions are over.

“I’m looking into doing Love Knot, which is a french romantic comedy. Of Widow and Vegetables, which is a commedia d’ell arte. It is set in the middle ages. It requires very clownish, and loud actors. The Spitfire Grill. It is a musical. It involves more drama, but it has comedy elements. The music end of it consists of folk songs. It’s not an outright musical. It’s a telling of a story with song. The plot is very complicated, unlike the others. On The Way is something we create ourselves, we write scenes and pick out the monologues. The theme is the struggle to achieve a goal and we’ll build around that,” Swartz said.

Swartz is looking to see if the actors/actresses are not afraid to express themselves, and go all out to be a character.

“The monologue should exhibit the actors strengths. If you’re funny, choose a comedy. If you can cry on cue, pick a sad monologue that bring you to tears. I don’t want to see you standing there, telling me memorized lines. I need you to act, be a character and live in the moment. My standards are high. There’s a stiff competition,” Swartz said.

September 21 is the date to remember. Auditions are held in the auditorium from three to five p.m.. If you think you have the skill to be a part of One Act, Swartz encourages you to not be shy and come.