Who Is Howard Stevens?

Martin Beck, Staff Reporter

Howard Stevens was reunited with his old high school on Wednesday, October 22nd, when he returned to HHS. Stevens spoke to students and their families about football recruiting and setting athletic and academic goals. He made a similar speech during ELT on Thursday, October 23rd.

Stevens attended Randolph-Macon College for two years, before transferring to the University of Louisville after 1969. Upon completing his post-secondary education in 1972, Stevens earned a bachelor of arts degree in psychology.

He played two seasons for Louisville for his two years there, and was inducted into the Louisville athletics hall of fame. He set a school record for rushing 1,429 yards in the 1971 season. In 1972–his senior year–he led the Louisville team to a record 9-1 season. His entire career at Louisville consisted of 2,723 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns.

His professional career began in 1973, when he was drafted to the News Orleans Saints as a running back. Stevens was the best at kick-off and punt returns in the NFL’s 1974 year. In 1975, Stevens transferred to the Baltimore Colts.

After five years as an NFL player, Stevens retired with 376 rushing yards, 84 carries, and four touchdowns. Today, he is the owner of Stevens Financial: a company that assists individuals in financial retirement planning.

On the Internet, you can find him on HHS’ Wikipedia page, under “Notable Alumni.” Otherwise, Stevens resides in Wake Forest, North Carolina with his wife, Joyce.