Q/A with Freshman and Senior One-Act cast members

Senior Graham Rebhun in costume.

Picasa

Senior Graham Rebhun in costume.

Naomi Gelberg-Hagmaier, Staff Reporter

Gabby Wilson

Freshman

Q: What are your previous experiences in drama and theatre?

A: I started in fourth grade in a little play in school that was mandatory, and that kinda made me want to do other stuff, so I did the musical all four years at Thomas Harrison and now this.

Q: How did this experience compare to others that you’ve had?

A: It’s definitely different because it’s shorter, and I couldn’t talk. It’s facial expressions the whole time, so it’s very different.

Q: What was being a part of this cast like?

A: Just so much fun. Everyday you walk into rehearsal, and someone is singing. You don’t know who it is, or what exactly they’re singing, but they are. Then we all go and stretch and and then we play a game

Q: How much work went into this performance?

A: A lot. We were still rehearsing today, changing things, like an hour before the show. It’s definitely a lot of work.

Q: How did you feel before performing tonight?

A: I got kinda that feeling where you feel like you’re gonna throw up, and then of course I didn’t really think oh I’m going to forget my lines, I was thinking oh my gosh I’m going to forget to do something important, and no one is going to understand what’s going on, and everyone will know it was wrong. I was extremely freaking out.

Q: How do you think your performance went tonight?

A: That’s probably one of the best ones I’ve done. 

I think we did really well as a cast, and I’m actually really proud of it.

— Gabby Wilson

Q: What is your favorite part of this show?

A:I definitely liked Eddie’s voice. It always makes me laugh during rehearsal, and it’s kinda bad because I have to stay in character with him just shrieking.

Q: What is your favorite part of acting?

A: Just getting to be in a different world. Right here I was in the eighteen hundreds and I was a mime. That’s totally different from being a teenager, who’s always tired and hungry. You have to just put those things aside and be someone else.

Q: Do you plan on doing One Act next year, and/or musical this year? Why?

A: Yes. Both of them because I’ve done musicals in the past, and it’s just something you’ve always dreamed of, to be on this stage, and to work with these people, and to do something like that. I mean just this experience, I want to do it again.

Graham Rebhun

Senior

A:  I’ve done all of the musicals and One Acts we’ve done here. And I do the spring arts shows every year. I’ve been in a senior directed play, and this year I get to direct one. That pretty much takes up the entire year. Musical and one act, in the past years, we’ve gone really far with one act so it actually kinda blends in with musical, like timing wise.

A: This one is definitely the funniest one we’ve done. The other ones I’ve done in the past have been pretty serious. The last two we did were pretty serious, and then the first in was like serious with a little bit of comedy. So this one is definitely the first one that’s full comedy, and it has a lot slapstick, which is a lot of fun.

A: Oh my gosh, it’s so much fun. This cast is just so much fun. We have a lot of outside of the theatre, like cast bonding, we watch movies, and go to dinners, stuff like that. All of them are my friends. There’s not one I wouldn’t like not call my friend. It’s like a family pretty much, I know it’s cheesy but it’s very true.

A: So much work, because of like all the physicalities, like timing is huge, and so is placement and body stature and stuff. The characters are like really extreme so there’s a lot of different characters and physical things to keep track off. A lot of tedious training I guess.

A: I’m fine up until about 20 minutes before the show. Then, I start to get really nervous, but once you go on stage, you’re rolling. It’s all good.

Q: Do you have any pre-show rituals?

A: Not really. I like triple check, like quadruple check that all my props are in the right place, because that is my greatest fear, getting out there and not having a prop, or not having the right things I need.

It’s like a family pretty much, I know it’s cheesy but it’s very true.

— Graham Rebhun

A: It went pretty well. Energy was really high. Which is a good thing, but also made us go really fast, and losing some of the words from the audience. I thought it went very well. There were couple bumps but other than that, it was really good.

A: Definitely the jail scene, it’s just like a really slapstick-y, comedic scene.

A: Oh my gosh, that’s a huge question. I actually wrote my college essay about this. There’s a bunch of different aspects, the biggest for me is that it’s just like a place to, not escape, but just like a place to take a deep breath. You get out of school, and you’re just so tired, and at first you’re like ugh I don’t want to go to rehearsal, but then you get there, and you’re somebody else for like an hour or two hours, and it’s a breath of fresh air.

Q: How do you feel about this being your last HHS One Act?

A:  I don’t even want to think about it. It’s really sad actually. It’s what I look forward to every year, figuring out the musical and stuff like that. I hope to do a lot of it in college, so I’m trying to like not be too sad, because hopefully I’ll get to do it later on. But it’s sad to leave this place, I’m really close to Mr. Swartz, so it’s just like sad. Bittersweet ya know. Actually it’s not sweet.

Q: Do you plan to continue to act in college?

A: Hopefully. I don’t plan on majoring in theatre. I may minor in it, but for the most part I’m not really looking into theatre in college.