Students find that it is worthwhile to have a part-time job

Isaiah King, Staff Reporter

As a teenager in this day and age, money is fuel for our satisfaction. Whether we find coins abandoned in parking lots, or are willing to mow lawns if we earn money. We treasure every last dime to purchase the latest clothing or cell phone.

Freshman Jorge Tejeda finds no trouble in pocketing the bills.

“I make around $200 every two weeks, on Saturdays and Sundays,“ Tejeda said.

Although, this may sound like an extravagant amount Jorge definitely would like around $400. In order to earn this much, Tejada cleans houses at Massanutten with his mom.

“I have to clean the kitchens in the house, because it is easier, but sometimes I have to make the beds and clean the bathrooms,” Tejeda said.

Tejeda has now been cleaning for a year now and is exceedingly pleased with his earnings.

Unlike Jorge, sophomore Eleanor Alger is in a similar situation, though occasionally wishes she had an allowance.

“I babysit a lot, so that’s how I make my own money, so without an allowance I’m kind of okay with it,” said Alger.

She obtains about $40 – $50 just from babysitting, but when it comes to earning allowance money, Alger would appreciate more than what she already earns. Her parents aren’t too keen on adding to her ample supply she already possesses. With regards to the question of every teenager having an allowance she believes, “We should have restrictions on our allowance or a budget, because if I had an allowance I would spend it all on random Disney or One Direction stuff — that wouldn’t be helpful,” Alger said.

It seems like many students at Harrisonburg find some way to earn money.

Sophomore Aaron Gordon has a well paying job downtown at Springs Barber Shop as a barber’s apprentice to his boss, Tyrone Sprauge.

“My pay is actually really good, he pays me about $10 per small job I have to do or whatever the day has been like,” Gordon said, who has been employed for about a year now.

As a barber’s apprentice Gordon is personally taught how to barber, but will assist with cleaning up and fetching his boss things. With regards to this job cutting into education and athletics, Gordon has been able to manage his time quite well.

“I’d say no and yes. I usually come in every Saturday which doesn’t cut into my work, because I always try to get my work done on Fridays at least, but it can interrupt my work.”

For Aaron there isn’t too much disadvantages to having a job in high school. Besides a paycheck you do get tired, but the hard work pays off.

Graph

After contemplating many opinions from students in all grades, many students don’t actually have an allowance. The few who have an allowance, earn money about every week for doing daily chores, but have to pay for everything they need such as new clothes, shampoo and even toothpaste. These opinions and answers funneled into a large survey of 100 students (25 from each grade) that gave a certain percent of how many students earn an income. 51% said they don’t have an allowance and have no form of earning money besides holidays and birthdays. 24% said they have a job, so they are earning a living, although the job can cut into education and ability to do sports in high school. And the last 25% of the students earn an allowance from their parents in which that money goes toward daily wants, and money for free will spending with friends.

A profusion of the students actually do not earn an allowance from their parents or a job. The few who receive a paycheck from a job gave their standpoint that the job is worth having and the pay is well. Have an interesting job or comment about your allowance experience, share it with us HHS Media!