JROTC gets rock wall to boost training

Students compete with each other to get the fastest time.

Hunter Manzano, Feature Page Editor

Would you prefer to sit in a desk for hours on end reading through pointless textbooks, or scaling a U.S. military rock wall during class? Just imagine climbing as fast as you can, right alongside your best friends, and then rubbing it in their faces when you beat them. The cadets of Harrisonburg get to do this.

Once or twice a year, the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corp gets its hands on one of the national guards rock walls. “We do it because it helps to prepare or raider team for their competitions, where one event is climbing a rock wall, and it also is a quick, fun activity to bring out for the cadets,” Honor Guard Commander Juleian Cappell said.

The national guard uses this wall in some of their training as well.

“It helps to develop a soldiers teamwork, camaraderie, and physical fitness,” said Staff Sergeant Bosserman. Bosserman has come in several times throughout the year to share his experience as a sniper for the U.S. Army.

The fastest times of the day for the males was a tie between Trequan Burrell and Isaiah Dortch with nine seconds, and the females was Karla Gonzalez with a time of 11 seconds. “Everybody had a blast,” Command Sergeant Major Wilder said.

The JROTC program offers many exciting activities such as this in its curriculum, and it’s size is rapidly expanding.