Varsity girls soccer drops first home game to Millbrook

Maya Waid, Editor-in-Chief

The varsity girls soccer team took the Claude E. Warren field for the first time this season Friday, Mar. 25. The team took on the Millbrook High School Pioneers for the second game in a row to open their home games for the season. Despite confusion on players eligibility prior to the start of the game, the team had 9 of 11 starters present for the match. After 80 minutes of play though, they walked away after losing 1-0 to the Pioneers. 

For the majority of the first half, the Streaks spent their time on the defensive end. Seniors Abby Fornadel and Olivia King both spent their time on the back line defending attacks from the Pioneer defenders down the field. About 20 minutes into the game, sophomore Aspen Long got the first shot off on goal for either team, but was later whistled for an offside penalty. With 10 minutes remaining in the half, a Pioneer corner kick led to the first goal of the game. 

The game remained 1-0 for the remainder of the second half. The Streaks struggled to get off any more attempts on goal. Junior keeper Carolyn Hinshaw made key plays down the stretch that prevented the Pioneers from increasing the lead. Freshman Hannah O’Fallon was pulled up from the JV team to play left wing for the Streaks and was also an important aspect when trying to get some offense going. The Streaks made their first substitutions of the game at halftime by subbing in senior striker Mallory Knupp. However, the change in pace was not enough for the Streaks who were unable to score in the game. 

The Streaks drop to 0-2 in the season with their loss Friday night. The girls will take home field again next Thursday, Mar. 31, against Hidden Valley High School for a 6 p.m. kickoff.