Senior Antwonne Washington stands on podium as the first place winner of a wrestling meet during his junior year. Washington previously won at the Sophomore State Competition for wrestling as a sophomore.

Photo Courtesy by Antwonne Washington

Anttwone Washington

Q: What does wrestling mean to you?

A: Wrestling to me [is] like the game of life; when you live you win, when you die you lose.

Q: Describe your favorite memory from wrestling?

A: My favorite moment is when we could take the whole team with us to states last year. It felt good to not be the only person from our team going to states.

Q: What is your biggest take away from wrestling?

A: [My biggest takeaway from the sport is] how much it makes you grow as a person.

Q: How have you grown as a person on the wrestling team?

A: Before freshman year I just did [wrestling] for fun and I didn’t look at it as something that could change me. Wrestling has [allowed] me [to grow] into a better man. It also is because of the fact when you lose you can’t blame anyone but yourself. It’s [about] your training [and] your worth ethic, it’s what you put in is what you get out. I realized [that because it is] an individual sport you can’t count on or blame anyone else but yourself.

Q: Describe a challenge that you had in your sport and describe how you moved on from that challenge?

A: One of my best friend [beat] me in a match, and he whooped [me in two matches]. That’s when it clicked and [I realized I had] some training to do, so I started going out and running more and meeting with my coaches. That’s also when I got with a wrestling club. 

Q: How has your sport contributed to who you are now?

A: Wrestling will change you as a person because you have to learn to work to get what you want. Basically nothing is ever given to you on a silver platter or a hand out. You have to make the opportunity with the amount of work you put in.

Q: Do you think that you’ve done all you can do in your wrestling career?

A: I’m nowhere near done with what I can do.

Q: Are you hoping to wrestle in college?

A: No, my goal is to go to the Olympics.

Q: What will you do to achieve this goal? 

A: I [will] train everyday, not only my body but my mind. 

Q: What do you do to train your mind?

A: For me, I am  very religious so I read my Bible and I also stay very optimistic. Even in the darkest of places there’s some light so you just have to find the bright side to everything.

HHS Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in