Michael+Coughlin

Niranjan Aradhey

Michael Coughlin

How many years have you been teaching?

I have been teaching at Harrisonburg High School for 1 year, but before I’ve been teaching in other capacities, as in college professor, elementary school aide and substitute for probably about 5 years.

What do you like doing in your free time?

I’m a nature person, so that includes hiking, camping. I [also] play chess and obviously art.

What’s your favorite part about HHS so far?

Definitely the students … and the faculty and staff, the people. Just wonderful people, it’s just nice making connections, meeting new faces, and everybody is extremely friendly, everybody wants to get along and add to the positive environment at the school

What’s one thing you’re looking forward to at the high school?

I am really excited about the moments where I can reflect and realize that I’m making a difference in a students life. I like those moments where you can just take time to tune out all the other noise that’s going on and realize; ok we’re doing something real here. We’re making a difference, we’re adding positivity to both of our lives, and the community at whole.

Why did you decide to come teach at HHS?

Well, I wanted to work with art because that’s my passion, and that, I was just more of an assistant, in a general education setting. So, here, I’m able to actually teach what I love, so its, it can be a channel towards, art can be a channel towards people becoming better. Even if they might not be an artist down the road, it’s just a way for them to learn self mastery, which is important in our lifestyles, and anything we choose to do. And then also to learn that; Oh I put myself out there, I can hang this up on the wall and add to the enjoyment of other people’s lives. So that service aspect of it is important too.

Did you get into art at a young age?

Yeah, I did. At a young age I was really into just drawing Simpsons comics, just kind of silly things. Then I started getting more into the fine arts in high school, when my teacher introduced me to an artist named Jean-Michel Basquiat. It just kind of really expanded my mind and blew my mind because to me, fine art was like Rembrandt and, you know, Michelangelo… But then I saw this whole other movement with abstract expressionism and that really opened my mind into; Oh wow, I can be more loose and free and can have my personality in it. It doesn’t have to be like these old dudes in suits, standing up, regal, you now, so that really set me up on the path of; Oh okay, I want to do this.

HHS Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in