Nyah Phengsitthy

Sophomore June Holm holds up one of her pieces. Holm is running a Manga Art Contest, open to all students.

Holm expands anime club, runs manga art contest

From details of what each character is wearing to what the lesson of the episode is, the anime club is watching anime series and analyzing every minute of them.

Ran by current president sophomore June Holm and science teacher Eric Sneller, the anime club consists of a small group of students who get together on Tuesday afternoons and simply watch anime. According to Holm, anime club from previous years was not as well known around the school until she stepped up to the plate and took lead as president.

“I sort of just jumped in and took the position. The club was sort of down in the ashes. I like to use this metaphor that I made the club come back from the ashes like a phoenix coming from the ashes and being reborn,” Holm said.

The club is currently watching one episode of multiple series and trying to figure out which one they would all like to continue together. Holm is also in charge of an art contest that she created that would feature anime art. The pieces entered in the contest can be digital or personally drawn and need to include at least two anime characters, a background and be colored. Winners of the contest can receive a manga or cash prize.

According to Holm, being part of the anime club has caused her to express who she really is and be comfortable with her peers when they meet.

“I get to hang out with other kids who are just like me and I don’t have to feel self conscious and feel like a dork, even though I know I am… I don’t have to be scared to show who I am. I can just let my true self come out and just be the fun self that I am and enjoy life to the fullest,” Holm said.

The club currently has 10 students in it, but after the annual electives fair they recruited more people to join next year. When it comes to being part of the anime club, Holm recommends anyone to try looking into anime, despite many of the misconceptions people may have about it.

“I feel like [those who are unaware of what anime is] mistreat anime as some sort of dorkey thing, but you can learn a lot from anime. [There are] good life lessons in there like never giving up, following your dreams [and standing] up for yourself,” Holm said.

HHS Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All HHS Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *