Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Abebe produces and publishes music
US Army visits with virtual reality stimulation

March 21, 2024

Varsity Girls Soccer plays Fluvanna in opening game of the season

March 21, 2024

Black student-athletes share experiences, expectations in sports

March 19, 2024

After School Hours: Night School

Buses pull out at the end of the day.

Precious Scott-

When the final bell rings at 2:20 p.m., most students are gathering on the buses after a rough day to get home. On the other hand there are a few who are just waking up, eating lunch, and getting ready for school. Harrisonburg High School provides an alternative educational program starting at 3:05 to 6:05 for students who have trouble learning in regular day school. The program is taken care of by Sheila Banks who does a fair job at keeping things in line, and making sure everyone is doing their best to reach the top. Night school may seem like the easy road out, but it has the same goals as regular day school which is to provide an education for those who want it, and see that those who work hard graduate. They have the same core classes as day school English, History, Science, and Mathematics, and the same requirements. Night school operates in smaller classrooms, and because of that it is easier to get one on one help than being in a day school classroom. The enrollment for night school varies somewhere between 20 – 40 students, and it also includes a GED program.

Night school is a great program that gives students who have problems in regular school a chance to get a education, and move on to better things. You are able to work at you own pace, and not worry about being embarrassed to ask a question or admit you don’t know how to do something. The teachers are always ready to give a helping hand, and they aren’t running around trying to answer 15 questions at once. Every student needs some form of education to make it anywhere in the world, and it doesn’t matter what form it is.