Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Abebe produces and publishes music
US Army visits with virtual reality stimulation

March 21, 2024

Varsity Girls Soccer plays Fluvanna in opening game of the season

March 21, 2024

Black student-athletes share experiences, expectations in sports

March 19, 2024

Crafting with complete stranger can be cool

Senior Meagan Kelley and sophomore Kendall Bailey create artwork together.

reshman Kendall Bailey is an outspoken, fast-talking, Junior Olympian who was born in Miami, in the middle of a hurricane. Recently I had the opportunity to get to know Kendall while we made collages out of magazine cut-outs. Her mouth moved so fast that it was hard for me to keep up. This year is Kendall’s first year playing Junior Olympics volleyball as well as her first year playing volleyball ever.

“I had never played [volleyball] until I decided to try out for the school team this year,” Bailey said. “Trying out for Junior Olympics wasn’t as nerve racking as trying out for the team at HHS.”

The farthest that Bailey’s Junior Olympics team has traveled is about five hours away. She is not sure if she wants to play volleyball in college in a few years and says she will consider it if Virginia Tech has a volleyball team.

When I asked how Junior Olympics volleyball compares to Olympic volleyball Bailey responded with a laugh, “I’m not sure how it compares to the real Olympics because I’ve never played in the Olympics.”

Before I could finish all of my questions about volleyball, Bailey began telling me a story about how a random college student proposed to her mother at a gas station once. She then changed the subject again, telling me about the size of her cat.

“My cat – everyone thinks she’s a dog – I mean seriously she looks like a bowling ball,” Bailey said.

Bailey continued to make me laugh telling more stories about being chased by a wild boar, about moving seven times, and shattering the bones in her thumb in seventeen places.

“I like talking, I mean obviously,” Bailey said. “A lot of people tell me I talk too much but I’d rather be outspoken than boring.”

As we sat, cutting out pictures that represented us or just seemed interesting, Bailey continued to tell me anything interesting about herself that she could think of.

“You know, as soon as I leave, I’ll remember the most important thing about my life,” Bailey said.

After some more thinking, she finally remembered the scariest thing that has ever happened to her.

“I am terrified of lakes,” Bailey said. “One time my friend and I were canoeing and it was starting to get dark but the current pulled our boat out really far from the shore. We blew the emergency whistle but the wind was going the wrong way. No one found us for like seven hours. It was the scariest moment of my life.”

Before I could ask a question about the canoeing experience, Bailey turned the magazine page to a lotion sample and immediately asked if she could have it, saying her mother would love it.

While on the subject of her mom, Bailey said, “I think I’m allergic to tomatoes, but my parents say I’m not. They also think my middle name is Anne but I think its Analea.”

Bailey began to tell me how she cannot live without Converse, Pacsun, and Aeropostale and how she used to be SCA president and Builders Club president in middle school.

“Most people think I’m a nerd, and I mean I guess I am, but if you get to know me I’m not,” Bailey said.

Nerd or not, Kendall Bailey is outspoken and full of laughs for sure. The kids shoe size wearing ninth grader who loves hip-hop and rap music and loves to dance is sure to keep anyone laughing for hours. The one goal Kendall Bailey has for her life? “To live a frikin’ awesome life.”