Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Where every person has a story.

Do you feel that HHS and our city are inclusive environments for all cultures/ethnicities?

• Yes, I do (60%, 67 Votes)
  • We can improve (30%, 34 Votes)
  • No, I do not (10%, 11 Votes)

Total Voters: 112

Loading ... Loading ...
Abebe produces and publishes music
US Army visits with virtual reality stimulation

March 21, 2024

Varsity Girls Soccer plays Fluvanna in opening game of the season

March 21, 2024

Black student-athletes share experiences, expectations in sports

March 19, 2024

Marching Blue Streak Band brings home gold

The Marching Blue Streak Band spent hours and days practicing over the summer in hopes of performing well at competitions. Photo by Maria Rose.

Junior Dorrall Price was undoubtedly nervous as the Marching Blue Streak Band stepped out onto the field of Millbrook High School in Winchester.

Despite their weeks of hard practice leading up to their first competition on Saturday, Sept 18th, the drumline percussionist was unsure of how the performance might turn out.

“We weren’t exactly where I wanted us to be musically, [and thought] we could use a little extra work on our technique,” Price said. “Honestly, I was a little scared.”

Scared of what?

“Of how we’d do,” Price said. “I thought the other bands might be more prepared than we were.”

The marching competition lasted from ten in the morning until four in the afternoon, but the students had to arrive two hours early, and leave two hours later. During that period, they were only able to see one other band perform, but in Price’s eyes, that was enough.

“They were pretty amazing,” Price said. “I thought they had us beat by a good bit. their drumline was definitely on a higher level than us and to me their drill and musicality seemed a little more precise.”

But it turns out, the Blue Streaks ended up sweeping the competition. Against other Class AA schools from around the state, they brought home first place in Music, Marching, Colorguard, Percussion, and Band Class AA. And if that were not enough, they were also named the Overall Grand Champions of the Day.

“It made me think that if we give our best, we can do awesome things,” Price said.

But he is still looking for improvement.

“It was a good show, but did we really give our best effort?” Price asked himself as the band finished up their performance. Price hopes to work on his marching technique and musicality.

As the season continues, and weeks of training go on, the Marching Blue Streak Band will continue to make appearances at the home football games. Their next performance will be at the Shenandoah Valley Marching Invitational
hosted by HHS and Broadway High School next Saturday, September 25 at Broadway High School.  The Streaks are welcoming 11 bands from all over Virginia. The performance will begin at 7:45 PM.